Thursday, June 7, 2007

Meeting Our Advisors

We met our advisors two days ago at a very nice lunch. My advisor is Professor Liu, and he seems to be extremely friendly and helpful. I also met three of the graduate students I will be working with in the lab over the summer, and they too seemed very friendly. I'm looking forward to starting work there and the place I am working in looked very nice.

The four students from Peking University who will be going to UM for the summer took us on a tour of the Chemistry building here after the lunch. It was very large and we got to see a lot of cool tools and equipment. Then we went around the campus for awhile and had dinner with the PKU students on campus. They've been very helpful with showing us around, and I'm hoping we'll get to see them again at the end of the summer back in Ann Arbor.

Yesterday we went to a clothing market where we bought a bunch of stuff. I got ten shirts and a pair of shoes, and Tiffany and Brian also made similar purchases. We also went to a pearl and jewelry market, where we all bought some stuff and the Professors made a lot of purchases. I got called a crazy man a couple of times during the bargaining process and it was pretty funny. We were extremely tired after the whole day of shopping, and we went to a noodle restaurant and ate until we could hardly move. Then we went home and went to bed.

Today was a calm day with language lessons and a culture lesson as well. We had an all you can eat lunch of dumplings and we ordered about 300 dumplings I would estimate. It was a huge amount of food. We tried to get a copy of the menu to translate at home since we'll be eating there often, but the menu is apparently a secret! The restaurant was happy to copy the entire menu by hand though, which I didn't really understand at all, but we ended up getting the menu. Next time Brian, Tiffany, and I can try to order for ourselves.

No comments: