Saturday, July 7, 2007

Today is 7/7/07!

Brian found this great pizza restaurant that’s pretty close to one of the bus stops between our apartment and the campus, it’s called Kro’s Nest. We went there last night and it had very good food I thought.

I went to my first lab group meeting this morning. The whole thing was in Chinese and the ppt slides only had a little information so it was a kind of boring 2 and a half hours but it was cool to see anyway. I’m not sure if I’m going to keep going to them b/c they are optional for me and the Professor sort of warned me they would probably be boring and that I wouldn’t enjoy them but I wanted to see it anyway so I’m glad I went. I was pretty surprised by the format though, it’s not what I thought it would be. There were 3 grad students that each gave a presentation on a research paper, but then the papers were all stuff our lab doesn’t really do and the papers used techniques none of the students in my group use, so there’s a lot of questioning and discussion that was going on over the techniques used and stuff like that. The Professor pretty much just stays out of the way and lets the students talk and there’s a lot of debating that goes on. I’m not sure if it gets a lot done toward furthering our group’s work but everyone took part pretty actively (except me of course, haha) and it seems like a cool way to learn about new things.

No comments: