Thursday, July 19, 2007

Week 7

Last Sunday Brian and I had dinner w/ three girls from the Simmons College in Boston. Then we headed home to watch some prison break and Tiffany was at her lab having her lab meeting. We love prison break now… and I’m afraid of what I’m going to do once we finish watching season 2. It won’t be quite as bad as when lost season 3 finished but I’ll have to look for something else to watch. I better go to the movie store after working or at lunch today.

Hmm, on Monday we went with some people to the Movie Night at Lush, they showed the Matrix and it was in English, haha! It was cool to watch that but it was really loud and hard to talk at all. After the movie night we looked at some dogs at a dog market that is apparently where all of the individual dog sellers go at night or something (at least I think that’s what this guy was explaining…). The dogs were incredibly cheap compared to American prices for dogs… you could get a dog for about $10 USD. I felt bad for these dogs though b/c I donno what happens to them if they get too old before they are sold… all of them are really young puppies.

Yeah then on Tuesday after lab I just stayed in and watched some Prison Break and did a little work on the med school applications… those things are never going to get finished. Wed. we went to this outdoor food market place where they cook food outside and we ate a huge pile of chicken wings. It was a really nice night to be outside. After that I went to the propaganda club for a bit with my friend Victoria and a bunch of people from her program here but I came home very early.

Yesterday night I stayed in and talked to my girlfriend online for a long time. She’s in Ghana this summer and we don’t get to talk often enough. Tiffany was at a lab meeting and there was a lot of confusion about how she was getting home. I guess what happened was she got a cab near the restaurant they ate at but somehow she ended up sharing it with a couple of people who were headed the same way… but it was late at night and she was understandably nervous about the situation so she just got out of the cab near the JI building and called Brian and I. It was a bit disappointing to hear that someone had stuck her in a cab w/ unfamiliar people, as it was dark out and for a girl in a big city that just seems like a pretty scary situation. Anyway though so we got a cab to where she was and just all came back together. I was pretty happy with our ability to explain to the cab driver that we just wanted to go back to where we had come from b/c he didn’t seem to know the same name for our apartment complex as we did at first but it wasn’t too difficult. I’m nowhere near as good at Chinese as I would have expected to be for being here almost 7 weeks now. hahaha I always think of how embarrassing it will be when my friends at home see how little Chinese I’ve learned.. I know enough to get around and stuff but that’s very little and having a real conversation would be nearly impossible… :(

Oh, and on Wed. afternoon the wallet and cell phone of a guy from my lab were taken right out of the lab computer room! I mean that stuff happens at home too but it’s crazy how much crime we’ve been hearing about lately. I was really happy that I had my computer with me or it would probably be long gone. Anyway, needless to say, I’m being extra careful with things now!

This weekend Brian has found a place we might go to called “Happy Valley”. It’s some kind of amusement park and it looks like it has shows and stuff too so we might go out there.

No comments: